Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tagging Along to Europe (July 17-28)….Belgium

The trip started with an early morning incident on July 17, 2001.  Brett was already in Belgium with Boeing, and my plan was to meet him there.  The boys were staying with my 80 year old grandparents.  My grandpa was giving me a ride to the airport.  Long story short…..we were in a car accident on the way to the airport, after my grandpa turned illegally in front of an oncoming car.  I did make it to the airport in time, with a big bump on my head.  Grandpa was fine, as my side of the car was the one hit.

Cathedral Sts Michel et Gudele, Brussels
1847...Dome glass roof of
Galeries St. Hubert




Brett was staying at the Montgomery luxury hotel.  They had the best shampoo and lotion that is supposedly a favorite of many Hollywood Stars – Eau d’Hadrien.  I still have some, and the smell reminds me of our trip.  My first outing was dinner with the team near the Grand Palace in Brussels.  Restaurants along “Rue Des Bouchers’ were known as the Belly of Brussels.  The beer of Belgium is Chimay. 







Cathedral of Our Lady, Antwerp
While Brett worked, I took advantage of my time and did some sightseeing.  I took the train to Antwerp.  I saw the Brabo Fountain at the Grote Markt (1565).  Antwerp is Belgium’s 2nd largest city.  It’s also the center of the diamond trade.  The Shane Company always advertises that they get their diamonds from Antwerp.  In the center of Antwerp, is the Cathedral of our Lady, with spires rising 404ft.  It’s Belgium’s largest gothic cathedral – a must see!
Brabo Fountain at the Grote Market, Antwerp





Madonna of
Michelangelo
and the Last
Supper
Another day trip took me to Bruges.  It’s easy to take the train around Europe.  You can buy roundtrip or one way tickets.  They have a market every Saturday in the middle of the city.  There stands a statue of two guildsmen who rebelled against the French in 1302.  Bruges is known for its chocolate, waffles, and lace.  Anyone that visits Bruges will immediately notice three spires towering over the city.  The highest of these spires belongs to the Church of Our Lady’s.  The church is near the river Reie and was built in the 14th century.  The showpiece of the church is the Madonna of Michelangelo (1504) and above that is the Last Supper on painted canvas. 
The Market, Bruges - Statue in the middle
represents two guildsmen who rebelled against the
French in 1302.



Our travels continue as we explore other countries in Europe……

No comments:

Post a Comment