Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Germany

Köln
Windmill in Stommeln

My interest with Germany started in high school.  I chose to take German with Frau Jones while others were taking Spanish.  There was a group of us that traveled there for 3 weeks during the summer of ‘87.  We were all placed in homes around Cologne (Köln), Germany.  My host family lived in Stommeln, near Pulheim.  My host family was the Gielow’s….Walter and Bieta (parents) and Walter, Harold, Peter, and Astrid (children).  They had a very nice, large home in Stommeln.  We attended school with our host families, and explored areas around Northwest Germany.  The following year, Astrid came to Washington to spend time in the states with my family.


Köln



My apartment in Köln

I continued my studies with German while attending college atWestern Washington University.  My last year at WWU, I decided to go back to Germany to study.  I was able to go to Cologne and stay with Astrid and her family for 3 months.  My studies were in the city of Cologne rather than out in the country in Stommeln.  I was fortunate that my host family had a family apartment in the city, and I was able to stay there and have easy access to the train and local scenery. 




The group eating mussels for dinner


We had to take classes at the university and study like regular students, although our teachers took some non-traditional approaches to teaching us about the culture.  We spent many days outside of the classroom and in delis, museums, and restaurants learning about different foods or how to drink beer ‘the right way’. 

Germany's oldest city, on the banks of the Moselle River.
It was founded as a Roman colony in 16 B.C. by Emperor Augustus.


Das Ding - well known nightclub
near the university
Blood sausage (blutwurst), although cooked, contains meats, cow blood, tongue and lard.  There are several types of spreadable sausage like leberwurst and braunschweiger.  Neither of these were my favorites.  I loved to buy fresh rolls in the morning and eat them with salami and cheese.  Mussels were also popular in Germany.  We had dinner at a restaurant where we sampled them many different ways, including in pancakes.  Kölsch is the beer in Cologne.  When served a glass of beer, you raise your glass and say ‘Prost’ (cheers) while clinking glasses with the other patrons at your table.  If your beer is gone, the server will continue you to bring you another.  If you put a coaster on top of your beer, that lets the server know that you are done!  We actually learned all this on a field trip! 



Presidential Election Day - Teachers Margret, Klaus, Hartwig - 'Philharmonic'



Kölner Dom




The Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom) stands tall in the middle of the city.  Building on the Roman Catholic Church began in 1248.  It was finally completed in 1880.  It houses the relics of the Three Kings.  I liked to sit there sometimes during the day and write in my journal and catch up on homework.

Relics of the Three Wise Men

Friends...Barbel, Holger, Klaus, Astrid, Betina, Sabina, Robert at Beatte's Birthday

After 3 months away from my family and friends, I was anxious to go home!  I also had a nice surprise waiting for me!  Anybody remember what that was?!!!  Tschüß!  Auf wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment